How your foot specialists in Washington, DC, can help with bunion pain
If you are suffering from a large, painful, bony bump next to your big toe, you probably have a bunion. Bunions are a common foot problem, especially for women who wear pointed, narrow shoes that force the toes together. Whatever the cause for your bunion, the good news is that your podiatrists can help. Providence Foot Health Center offers a wide range of foot care services, including bunion treatment. Visit their office location in Washington, DC to help you and your feet—read on to learn more!
Bunions: Symptoms & Treatments
You might be asking yourself if you need bunion surgery. The truth is, there are some indications that surgery might be your best option. You should consider surgically removing the bunion if:
- Your bunion is large and causing severe pain that limits your ability to walk
- You are having difficulty putting on shoes
- Your big toe is chronically inflamed and swollen from the bunion
- The bunion is causing a big toe deformity
- It’s impossible to get relief from your bunion pain with non-invasive therapies
If you and your podiatrist decide bunion surgery is the best option, your podiatrist may recommend:
- Fusing the joints in your big toe
- Surgically straightening your big toe and foot
- Surgically removing swollen and excess tissue
- Surgically removing some of the bone to reshape your toe
However, your podiatrist may recommend non-invasive treatments before surgery. You can try applying ice, wearing inserts in your shoes, taping the bunion, and changing to wider shoes. You can also try over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medications like Tylenol or ibuprofen.
Give us a call
Don’t suffer from bunion pain when relief is just a phone call away. To find out more about bunion surgery and other foot care services, call Providence Foot Health Center, with offices in Washington, DC Dial (202) 269-4062 today!